Our History

 

1968 - 2018

2018 is the School's 50 year anniversary.
 

In October 1968, St Vincent’s Hospital transferred its affiliation from the University of Sydney to the University of New South Wales.  

In accordance with the agreement between St Vincent’s Hospital and the University of New South Wales, the establishment of two full chairs in Medicine and Surgery were established, Professor John Hickie (Medicine) and Professor Douglas Tracy (Surgery).  These chair positions showed a significant partnership between the University and the hospital and the development of the Clinical School which still continues today.

image - Our History image - Our History
St Vincent's Hospital early 1900's St Vincent's Hospital late 2000's
image - Our History image - Our History

A powerpoint presentation of our history is here.  It outlines the history to date with pictures of current and previous Heads of School and Department, School Events held for staff and students and a current list of staff.

The first group of students commenced on February 10 1969.  There were 45 in total.